ManTech is seeking a highly motivated Senior Electrical Engineer to support federal research and development (R&D) programs in solar grid integration under the Department of Energy’s SunShot Initiative. The SunShot Systems Integration subprogram funds research and development of technologies and solutions to enable the widespread integration of solar generation onto the nation’s electricity grid in a safe, affordable, reliable, and secure manner.
The successful candidate shall possess in-depth knowledge and real world experience in integrating renewable and/or distributed energy resources (DERs) into electric power grid. Specific areas of interests include power electronics, power system planning and operation, and energy storage.
Working in an integrated team environment and supporting federal client, the position will be responsible for active program management of the R&D portfolio through all project phases. The position also involves brainstorming innovative ideas and creating new research initiatives to advance the state-of-the-arts.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Serve as the technology expert to evaluate technology area portfolios, conduct gap analysis, and support the development of strategic roadmaps.
· Initiate and support the planning of new Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) including program concepts, requirement documents, workshops, merit reviews, briefings, and award negotiations.
· Perform active project management to ensure that projects make progress toward stated objectives and meet milestones and deliverables. Conduct quarterly, phase, and final project reviews and site visits. Provide clear guidance to awardees in regard to expectation and progress assessment. Resolve conflict and develop corrective actions when situations arise.
· Stay abreast of technology developments and proactively engage stakeholders (federal agencies, national laboratories, industry, academia, non-profits and others). Plan, attend, and present at major conferences throughout the year as travel funds allow. Obtain input from outside sources through road mapping workshops and other meetings.
· A Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or in relevant fields of study in engineering or physical sciences. An additional business degree is a plus.
· Demonstrated strong analytical skills to aggressively attack complex scientific and engineering problems and identify feasible/optimal system level solutions.
· Have 2-5 years direct relevant experience serving on a multi-disciplinary system design and development team in power electronics, renewable energy, energy storage, and/or smart grid.
· Have 2-5 years direct experience in program management, with excellent organization skills and critical decision making ability based on sound technical, scientific and business reasoning.
· Demonstrated critical and creative thinking skills, and prior applied research and development experience through patents and peer-reviewed scientific journal publications.
· Must have strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to prepare presentations and briefing materials that clearly articulate findings and recommendations for achieving program objectives.
· Self-motivated, highly organized individual with ability to adapt and respond quickly in a fast-paced environment.
· Working experience with electric utilities will be a plus.
· Authorized to work in the United States with no restrictions/Permanent US Resident.
Full time position; must be willing to work in downtown Washington DC; must be willing to travel on an as-needed basis.
Clearance: None required.
Requires Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and sixteen or more years of related experience or Master’s degree and twelve plus years of related experience.
Equivalent Experience/Education Bachelor's Degree Master's Degree Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
Years of Experience
12-15 years w/Bachelors Degree 13 plus years w/Masters Degree
For more than 40 years, ManTech employees have been solving complex problems for the national security community. We are comprised of approximately 10,000 talented employees around the world. We adhere to the simple, no-nonsense values on which ManTech was founded more than four decades ago, aligning squarely with the mission objectives of our customers. As our customer base continues to expand and diversify, we continue to diversify our workforce and solutions. Half our employees have a military background, and more than 70 percent hold a government security clearance. As a leading provider of innovative technology services and solutions for the nation's defense, security, space, and intelligence communities; we hold nearly 1,000 active contracts with more than 40 different government agencies.