The Proposal Manager oversees all proposal activities, including directing proposal personnel, managing deadlines and proposal schedules, developing proposal outline and compliance matrix, and monitoring the progress of the proposal. When a proposal is not in the active phase, the Proposal Manager will also act as a Business Developer: securing business opportunities in the government contracting market, identifying business growth opportunities, and providing marketing support.
Proven ability in planning, producing, editing, and delivering compliant proposals within a complex business environment. The Proposal Manager / Writer will be experienced in scheduling and running proposal kick-off meetings, leading storyboarding sessions, facilitating key review meetings / final document review, coordinating proposal governance / sign off, document production and delivery of the completed proposal. Candidates should also have experience with marketing or sales and an understanding of the Federal government-contracting arena specifically with professional services, intelligence and engineering support. Small business experience essential.
Delivery of compliant, professionally produced proposals within customer defined timeframes
Assist the Capture/Sales Team Leader in managing and directing all proposal efforts and personnel
Participate in the development and review of proposal strategies and themes, and manage the development of a Proposal Management Plan (PMP)
Direct the creation and review of a proposal outline that will be used as a key document design and control medium
Assist in analyzing the RFP/bid requirements against the proposal outline to ensure both compliance and responsiveness to the customer's issues and needs
Build the proposal compliance matrix and track the fulfillment of all requirements
Review completed storyboards and proposal sections to ensure requirements are adequately addressed and that customer page limits are not exceeded
Conduct regular proposal progress status meetings and maintain the proposal schedule
Develop a Pink Team (storyboard review) plan for the interim review and internal evaluation of the technical, management, and overall proposal approaches
Direct writing/editing/rewriting efforts, as needed
Work with the Volume Leaders to ensure inter-volume compatibility is achieved
Develop a Red Team plan for the final review and internal evaluation of the proposal
Ensure that appropriate Red Team comments are incorporated into the final proposal
Attend conferences and schedule meetings with contacts for the purpose of business development
Create gap analyses and generating long and short- range pipeline reports
Degree educated (English Literature, Journalism, Professional Writing Program) preferred
Certified to APMP Foundation / Practitioner Level
Advanced MS Word skills & proficient in MS Office
7-10 years of Proposal Management/Technical Writing & BD Experience
• Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
• Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.